2018 – Week 49

Continuing work on the collected edition of Surfing The Deathline, I’ve made some progress on adding a couple more pages to the start of part 2, which always had a slightly rough opening, on account of it originally being halfway through a scene in a single-volume book.

I’ve had some progress on the new pano head – of which I had to return a part. It’s costing around $50 extra all up, but I’m going to get it all sorted. The problem was that the top rail wasn’t long enough for my 14-24 lens. So, I had to return the rail, and get them to send me a new part. It’s annoying because the American company that sells it has an option in their purchasing process to specify the longer top rail, but they don’t give information that would lead you to believe you need it for that lens.

I also had some progress on a problem I’ve had with my 14-24 lens since day one – it tends to back-focus. So, you focus on a point, and it ends up being softer than detail a few inches behind it. I did some experiments, dialling in some autofocus fine tuning, and it’s made a pretty dramatic difference.

Focussed in the red square, sharpest each side.

Part of playing around with this, was getting more experience in with my speedlight – I really need to shoot with it more. Though, I’ve also realised the battery for my camera needs replacing.

The tiniest bug in the world.