2019 – Week 2

Did a bunch of work on the collected edition of Surfing The Deathline this week. It’s been interesting, revisiting macOS’ Automator software to try and build out my process for processing images, and comparing the quality of images.

I had managed to create a practical demonstration of pulling the textboxes out of the images, and putting them on a different layer in the EPUB. It worked, but seems to be really slow in practice, especially on my older iPad Air. The goal was to make the text layer something that can be toggled on and off, with an eventual goal to make the sketch layer something that can be toggled on and off.

I may just go ahead and do it, as a tech demo, to see if I can.

Where I’m at now is that I output each page from InDesign, using a script that outputs separate pages as individual pdfs, then I have an Automator action which has been made into a Finder service. So, I just select all the PDF pages, right click, choose the service workflow, and then the operating system processes every PDF to an image file, resizes it, and then saves it out to a different directory as a PNG file.

It’s completely removed Photoshop from the later process of the file, which was what I previously needed to create the PNG files.

The working week ended with discovering some of my photos from the Drone racing days had ended up in an article on the national broadcaster’s website. Unfortunately I hadn’t been told they were going to be used, and they weren’t credited to me. So, some quick emails to the ABC, and it was all sorted.


2019 – Week 1

A final week of holidaying, before getting into the year proper. I made a pretty significant decision with regards to the next update to my EPUB comics, and how to evolve them.

It’s going to involve significantly reworking all my original Photoshop files, as well as all my InDesign files, but will result in a structural separation of text and art onto separate layers in the EPUB. The result will be that text can be toggled on and off, different versions of artwork can be toggled on and off, independent of text, and background gradients on pages can be specified in HTML, and changed without regenerating the page art.

As with most things, it involves more time spent on setting things up in the first place, but sees greater flexibility and power to make changes down the road .

I’m starting to have some solid ideas about what this year will be. I will hold back on other people’s projects, and devote my time to my own. I’ll try to be as much stuff out of my storage space as possible, so that I can make it a useful working storage space, and I’m going to set up a welding bay in my back yard, to finally get on with making my ethernet sculptures.

2018 was in many ways, a year of sorrow. I’m going to make this year better, if I can.