Noosa Mnemonic

My latest residency project with Noosa Library Service.

The overall goal was to get multiple artists, starting with me, to recreate their favourite places in Noosa, purely from memory. Each artist will create the location within Virtual Reality, using an application called Tilt Brush, from Google.

Once the places were all created, the goal is to incorporate all of them into a single read-only VR environment, which will have its default state as a 3D topographical map of Noosa.

Continue reading “Noosa Mnemonic”

2019 – Week 34

The epic of time machine encryption continues, almost completing by the end of Sunday night, interrupted only by a suburb-wide power outage, which thankfully didn’t seem to interrupt the backup process.

I’ve spent the week putting more pieces into place for a trip to Japan in October – travel for me can be difficult, so gearing up is a major issue – I’ve tried almost every combination of camera harness and sling imaginable – to the extent that I’m currently designing a custom camera mounting plate to allow me to adapt to multiple different systems on the one camera. Thankfully I know a guy who designs custom parts for water-bombing helicopters, and has a CNC milling provider he can put me in touch with, to get it done in aviation-grade aluminium.

2019 – Week 33

Bit of a flat week feeling under the weather. Managed to clear a bit of room in my storage space, and spent a lot of the rest of the time watching over backups as they continue – the new pre-populated Time Machine drive is successfully integrated into the system, and now it’s encrypting, which will likely take more than a week.

2019 – Week 32

Monday was a bit of a bummer, I dropped out of SWELL.

This was a while coming, but effectively, once we saw the resonant wobble in the work after repairing it, it became clear that it was going to need some fairly significant engineering under the ground to dampen the movement, and without knowing anything about the geology of the site, that wasn’t going to be doable in a remote location, for a temporary installation.

To contrast with the sadness of that, Swell’s response was sympathetic, friendly and supportive, and I was made to feel welcome to return next year.

The rest of the week was spent researching stuff, and watching my Time Machine drive continue its duplication, running 24/7 for a week and a half now.


2019 – Week 31

Yet another week spent on messing around with backups – 3 days of 24/7 running time on my workstation to get to 1/3 of a duplication of a Time Machine drive. Things were going so slowly, I bought another backup drive, this time 6TB, to back up my entire system onto.

Days later, it’s still running.

Not really a great week for achievement.

One bright note, new IKEA lightning to USB cables arrived – they’re half the price & 50% longer than Apple’s cables. Plus, they have a braided nylon sheath, instead of the garbage rubberised plastic, which disintegrates around the plug end, that Apple uses.

2019 – Week 30

A clusterf*ck of a week, almost entirely spent on computer upgrades, and futzing around with trying to relink backups to upsized drives.

I bought a few interesting things that I’ve been thinking of for a while – IKEA finally have their USB to lightning cables in again, longer than Apple’s, just over half the price, and made of braided nylon, rather than Apple’s garbage splits-for-sure rubber. They say this trash fire rubber is environmentally more responsible, because it breaks down more easily, but you know what’s better? Never having to replace the cable at all.

Another thing I picked up, a mounting bracket for my Mac Pro’s second optical bay, which allows 2 SSDs to be mounted (steals the power / data from the optical drive, but no one uses one of those anyway.

The final purchase, more ram for the Mac Pro – in 2014, I bought 3x16gb sticks, at US$175 each. Nowadays, they’re US$35 each. This is the joy of “obsolete” tech.

2019 – Week 29

Quiet week – trying to figure out a solution to my Swell entry. Mentally preparing myself to cancel if necessary.

My test prints for the dropshipping print provider arrived, and they’re really interesting. Print quality is beautiful, so now it’s just to choose which paperstock is best.

Ended the week in Brisbane, seeing Primer at GOMA – such a great film.

2019 – Week 28

This week was spent in preparation to repair my Swell entry. Renting the trailer, buying the patch steel, and towing the work over to the place it was being repaired all went well enough, but once the repair was complete, we discovered a problem that may raise some real issues with the work being outdoors, and exposed to the elements – a resonant wobble that’s going to cause metal fatigue on the welds that hold the whole thing together.

2019 – Week 26

This week was largely spent checking specifications for a new camera, in the hope of lightening my carry load.

So with the end of the financial year, there were big discounts on a lot of gear, and I decided to check out Nikon’s Z7 mirrorless camera. Short version, I didn’t find it all that great. The electronic viewfinder has a fractional lag, as a result of it displaying the sensor’s output. You don’t have that with a traditional optical viewfinder, which looks through the camera’s lens.

A consequence of this, is that because the viewfinder is a small LCD screen, it produces heat, which gets projected into your eye. Probably not noticeable to most people, but with the lag, it added up to an unpleasant use experience.

So, I didn’t get it. Instead I did some shooting around Brisbane, enjoying the low-angle afternoon sun.

2019 – Week 25

Making progress on a bunch of things – Thursday night was the Immerse High prize ceremony so I was demoing VR on behalf of Noosa Library Service. It was a good night overall – lots of great work created by the kids