A broken and confused week, as construction around the house messed with my sleep pattern. Progress continued on the SDL collected version, and on Thursday I had a meeting with the Library to talk about my next Artist In Residence project.
Friday, the replacement rail for my pano head arrived, and it’s a secondhand-looking part, with clear wear & tear. It’s so disappointing to have spent ~$900 on a pano head, then another $35 on postage to get a $15 upgrade because one of the parts wasn’t correct for the job, and now that $50 exchange exercise turns out to look used.
Anyway, the distributor seems to have been willing to sort it out, they contacted the factory in Hong Kong, and they’re going to send me a new replacement once they get it in stock, and I can keep the current one, which means I can shoot in the meantime. It’s all worked out in the end, thankfully.
Continuing work on the collected edition of Surfing The Deathline, I’ve made some progress on adding a couple more pages to the start of part 2, which always had a slightly rough opening, on account of it originally being halfway through a scene in a single-volume book.
I’ve had some progress on the new pano head – of which I had to return a part. It’s costing around $50 extra all up, but I’m going to get it all sorted. The problem was that the top rail wasn’t long enough for my 14-24 lens. So, I had to return the rail, and get them to send me a new part. It’s annoying because the American company that sells it has an option in their purchasing process to specify the longer top rail, but they don’t give information that would lead you to believe you need it for that lens.
I also had some progress on a problem I’ve had with my 14-24 lens since day one – it tends to back-focus. So, you focus on a point, and it ends up being softer than detail a few inches behind it. I did some experiments, dialling in some autofocus fine tuning, and it’s made a pretty dramatic difference.
Part of playing around with this, was getting more experience in with my speedlight – I really need to shoot with it more. Though, I’ve also realised the battery for my camera needs replacing.
A week of admin stuff (aren’t they all?), culminating in the launch of the renovated Noosa Library, with its new Makerspace, where I was taking people through the VR station.
My work C45C4D3 is on the wall in the space. Though we still have some gremlins to work out with the way it’s hung.
Work-wise, I’ve spent a bit of this week constructing a complete, collected-edition version of Surfing The Deathline. It’s coming along well, and I think I’ve solved a problem of how to package it, while keeping all the individual covers intact, within the larger document.
A recovery week, not doing much. Picked up tools from the library, and did a bunch of admin emails. Didn’t leave the house for days.
The sound deadening fins went in to the library, they weren’t installed the way I’d been told they were going to be done, so the design I’d prepared didn’t really come off to the same effect I’d hoped to achieve.
I spent some time getting the new pano head calibrated – the device i bought to allow the camera to be remote-driven, and access live-view from an iOS device, has been invaluable. The new pano head is certainly an interesting development over my previous one, and hopefully its greater hardware precision will see it produce more accurate results.
All the drone racing finally came to a head, the majority of the week being spent on getting the race gates built. PVC pipe is a difficult material, insofar as there’s no cross connectors, and the adhesive is so fast that you only get one chance to do anything.
I also had a bit of extra responsibility over at the Noosaville library makerspace – I’ve designed the pattern for the sound-deadening fins that are going onto the ceiling. I was told how many of which colour there was going to be, and then figured out the pattern to place them within the space. I’m looking forward to seeing it.
The week ended with the drone racing itself, documented here.
A busy, and exhausting one this week building the gates for the Drone Racing programme. Lots of construction in PVC pipe, and running around getting parts.
I also had my wall sculpture C45C4D3 bump in to the local library makerspace, though that may not end up working out, as they’re cladding the room in dark blue sound deadening tiles, and the edge of it is going to come right down against the work.
I ordered a new pano head during the week, it’ll be interesting to see if I can get any improvement in results with a more sable set of geometric stops.
Finally, over the weekend was another Immerse conference, where I attended a VR filmmaking workshop. It was an interesting experience, a bit too rushed to come out of it capable of really doing all that much, but it pointed a lot of directions to think in. I might also have a potential way to monetise some of my Pano photography, by creating panoramic background environments.
Lots of organising materials and budgets this week, preparing to build the race gates and obstacles for Drone Racing in a couple of weeks. I managed to find some workspace at the still-in-construction Noosa Library, and had another meeting with the guy who’ll be moving my C45C4D3 sculpture in to the makerspace, where it’ll go on permanent display.
Saturday was another drone racing workshop day, although I was only there as an observer. However, I did managed to meet a guy who is head of department at a local school, a school that has welding bays. I’m going to pursue that contact to see if I can get some sort of Visiting Artist thing happening, in order to get access to their facilities.